Thursday, December 17, 2009

What Travis didn't say......read his first

First of all Travis, I do appreciate you blogging about the game and will leave that job up to you going forward as I know Arla and the rest of the crew away from Edgerton appreciate it. However, that was a slight detail Travis left out. This is the second varsity game of Travis's that I got to watch and it was a ton of fun, and yes it was as intense as he said it was. However, while I watched the game my mind also thought about how different boys and girls teams are. So I know I will have many nieces who read this but for the rest of this blog it is mainly directed at Scott and Travis.

When Travis was much younger and I would talk basketball with him I at some point in the conversation would call him "Scott Jr" (this is a good thing of course) because he loved the game so much and was always shooting hoops etc... and also because when I'd ask him when their next game was or who they played he never really knew. When I would ask Scott that same thing when he played basketball it was always "i don't know I just show up" I remember watching Scott in high school and how he always stayed composed on the floor even when the game wasn't looking so good or when the fans didn't agree with a call. I remember two times specifically that teammates got in trouble for actions on the floor but Scott never let it gget to him and always had great sportsmanship. I don't rememer what year it was but he was in high school and a parent came up to Arla and said how much they appreciated his attitude and approach to the game and this particular parent said she told her kids that this is who they should model themselves after in a game. So that was cool to hear as an aunt. That brings me to watching travis tonight and i thought to myself , that those cousins are alot alike, they both love the game, practice/d all the time, extremely focused on the floor etc... and Travis's sportsmanship on the floor tonight reminded me of Scott. It started with the National Anthem and Travis was the only one on either team with his hand across his chest. He made a point to shake hands with the starters on the opposing team before the game started. Other times it was just a matter of helping an oppenent up off the floor etc... But at one point in the game he was near the side of the court right in front of the HBC crowd and one of their fans (about a 45 year old guy) stood up on the second bench right in front of Travis and started yelling at him and waiting his finger at him (just like you do when you scold a child) I was so shocked at what i saw I turned to those sitting nexst to me and Dianne Huisken and I just looked at each other - and she said "did you see that guy and how he was in Travis's face"

So I admit it I was mad. I could not believe an adult would do that to a high school kid. Travis just looked at him and walked away and went and shot his free throws since there had been a foul called. I would have been upset had this been done to any one of the SW kids but it wasn't done to just any of the SW kids it was done to MY NEPHEW! So anyway, fast forward to the end of the game and we lost the game was over and it was time to go home.

So, I could not walk out of the gym without walking past that guy and you know me, I had to say something. I walked up to him, introduced myself and congratulated him on his team winning a hard fought battle. He kind of looked at me strange and then I said I also wanted to let him know that number 31 was my nephew and I didnt appreciate the way he was yelling at him and waiving his finger in his face. I went on to explain that it was a high school game and those actions are not needed. I told him my nephew did'nt deserve that - he went off about how i should ask him about what he did and see if I would be proud of him after that. I told the guy I am proud of him no matter what and if he did something wrong that is for the coach to discuss with him not me. He said I should talk to him about it - I told the guy I didn't see what went down or happened all i could see was him standing up, yelling and pointing a finger in his face and that is what i wanted to discuss with him not the basketball game. He continued to get feisty with me and again encouraged me to ask Travis why he yelled at him. I told the guy that even if Travis did do something wrong I don't understand how he as an adult thinks that standing up, yelling at him and pointing his finger in his face was going to solve anything as he should lead by example. He kept telling me to ask Travisk what he did but everytime I asked him what upset him so much to do that to a high school boy - he had no answer. I asked serveral times for him to tell me what caused him to get so upset and he woudln't do it. Finally he jsut said "you have a Merry Christmas mam" and I wished him a Merry Christmas also and I walked away, went to my car and drove back to Sioux Falls. I talked with Travis later and he didn't really know either why the guy was yelling at him he said he just looked at him for a it and then turned and walked away to shoot his free throws. So I don't know what that guys probelm was but I do know he was a bit taken back by me approaching him.

Scott, this reminded me of the story you told me once where you were taking the ball out of bounds and one of the fans said "I hate you Van Zanten". I asked what you did and you said kind of chuckled and continued on with the game. I know it is a long post but I just wanted to tell these two that they are/were fun to watch and their actions on the court are more important then any amount of points they scored. I love you both, am PROUD to be your Aunt. Scott, thanks for being a great role model on and off the court for your younger cousins and Travis you are doing the same.

*** Now a side note and have to go back a week. I went to Chandler to watch Diedra and Travis playball and Deidra you ahve come a long long way. You do great work out there and for those of you who don't know she starts for JV. Jeremy sat with me for half of Travis's game and I don't think you could find a prouder little brother he definately cheers Travis on during the game. I haven't made it to a grade school game yet but hope to make it to one or two of those also. I don't know if I got this totally right but I believe in the games they have plays Jason has something like 28 points and Jeremy has had a good showing also and even has 2 three pointers this season. Sorry Heather, I am not sure how your team is doing but feel free to blog and let us know (hint hint...)

I am really hoping the weather stays nice so I can make it to many more games.

Love ya all and can't wait for the hotel

Vonda

No comments: